Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Thanksgiving Dressing

Ethan emailed me wanting this recipe so I thought I would put it on here while I had it all typed up.
It is kind of a lot of work.
I cube up the bread a few days before and let it dry out really well. I usually place it on large cookie sheets and bake on a really low temp 200* a few times to help it dry out faster.
The bread is best if it is a homemade or bakery style bread. (not wonder bread that smashes flat)
The night before I dice all the celery and onions to make it go faster the day of.

2 lg. loaves of bread(cubed and dryed)
2 c. Butter
2 c. chopped onions
3-4 c. diced celery
1tsp pepper
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sage
2 T. poultry seasoning
3 c. chicken broth

Melt butter in a lg. pan. Add onion and celery; cook in the butter for 20 min. on a med -low heat.
In a large bowl mix the seasonings with the bread.
Pour the butter and veggie mixture over the bread, and mix all together.
Using a large spoon turn it over and over slowly adding the broth a little at a time to coat the bread.
Try not to mash or squish the bread but fold it gently all together.
Put in a large 9x13 pan. (I acctually use a larger pan 11x13) Bake at 325* for 20 minutes.
Then turn the mixture over with your spoon and bake another 15 minutes, until crisp on top.

*Since we never stuff it in the bird it is called Dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment