Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Rice Pudding

This is a recipe that my mom has used for years. We ate it almost as often as we did potatoes because we always had milk on hand. The story goes that when Lawna was young (4-6mon.) and my mom ran out of milk because she was already pregnant again. A friend suggested this recipe. Nowadays we all know that we should never give our babies eggs or whole milk before the age of 1. But, I guess Lawna turned out without allergies okay.


I make it for my children when the milk is about to expire and we have a ton left. Makayla loves it and even has special requests for it. One night she said, "mom, can you get up and make rice pudding so that when I wake up I can have some for breakfast?" Talk about the entitlement trap. This is also the ONLY form of Dessert that I feed my children for Breakfast ever.

Rice Pudding


1/2 c. butter

1 c. rice

6 c. milk

1 tsp. salt

6 eggs

1 Tb. vanilla

1 c. sugar

Raisins (optional)

Cinnamon

Melt 1/2 cup butter in bottom of heavy 2 1/2 qt. pan, then add 1 cup of rice, 6 cups of milk, and 1 teaspoon of salt. Simmer, covered 1 hour on low heat until rice is cooked. Beat together eggs, vanilla, and sugar and slowly add to rice stirring until it coats the spoon (until the eggs are cooked). Add cinnamon and raisins if desired. We like the apple pie spice.

* We almost always 1/2 this recipe.

1 comment: